Ultra filtration is a pressure-dependent process which removes dissolved solids and other substances from water, but to a lesser extend than nanofiltration and reverse osmosis. The pores of ultra filtration membranes can remove particles of 0.001 – 0.1 µm from fluids.
Ultrafiltration is mainly used for water pre-treatment processes.
- Dialysis and other blood treatments
- Concentration of milk before making cheese
- Downstream processing (e.g., concentration) of biotechnology-derived proteins (e.g., therapeutic antibodies)
- Desalting and solvent-exchange of proteins (via diafiltration)
- Fractionation of proteins
- Clarification of fruit juice
- Recovery of vaccines and antibiotics from fermentation broth
- Laboratory grade water purification
- Wastewater treatment
- Drinking water disinfection (including removal of viruses)
- Removal of endocrines and pesticides combined with Suspended Activated Carbon pretreatment
WaterIcon’s ultrafiltration products include the complete range of Ultraviolet Water Filtration Systems