Membrane separation technology
Reverse osmosis (RO),micro filtration (MF), nanofiltration (NF), and ultrafiltration (UF) form part of a family of membrane separation technologies used for municipal and industrial applications including:
- The production of potable water supply
- Polishing and demineralisation of boiler feedwater and pharmaceutical water
- The recycling process of wastewater and effluent water
- To ensure clean water discharge for the environment.
- Reducing costs for industrial clients through water recycling and re-use.
Membrane separation technology removes impure particles and sediment by using semi-permeable membranes that allow certain molecules or ions to pass through by diffusion. It is a relatively recent water treatment technology that requires no chemical additives and works on low energy use.
Membrane technology techniques are dependent on solute size, solubility properties or chemistry and consist of applying different pressures, concentrations and permeability to the membrane.
WaterIcon draws on its range of membrane separation products with configurations for different uses.